Friday 26 March 2010

When is it appropriate to inform them at work?

Continuing on the theme of 'only 5 months left WTF?', I would love some advice on when to inform my boss that I am leaving.

Originally - meaning months ago - I had decided to inform him about 5 months or so before leaving. Originally!! There is NO way that I am ready to inform him in the next week or two!

Legally, I have to inform the company 2 months before my last working day - hence by 30 June.

But I want to be nice and inform them, not the HR but my boss and colleagues, more in advance to allow them to find a replacement and to organise themselves, especially since I want to leave on 31 August, hence right in the middle of vacation months here.

I am also increasingly starting to feel like I'm living a lie at work. I have told all my friends about this trip, but none of my colleagues although I talk to them every day, lunch with them etc. I am starting to feel bad when we discuss future projects, when I come with ideas for new projects when I know I won't be here to implement them. Or when we discuss reporting deadlines in the fall, meetings and outings and other stuff - and all the time I am not telling them the truth. Plus they will all understand, once I do inform them, that I have planned this trip for months and that all this time I just did not bother informing them that I am leaving.

At the same time, I do not feel ready to inform my boss about this yet. I feel I want to finish a few more things first, prove myself a bit more, make sure I leave with a good impression. Plus, I do not want to risk that he gets so angry (not that he probably will, but the risk does exist) that he asks me to leave as per my 2 months notice period. This would not be good as I'm counting on the salary from the next 5 months to buff up my savings.

So when would be appropriate to tell them at work? By the end of April - hence 4 months in advance? By mid-May, once 2 out of 4 of my conferences for this spring are over - hence about 3.5 months in advance? Or???

What do you think?

1 comment:

eva said...

Just my 2 cents: beware that your blog is completely public. Your work colleagues might be reading it. If you make your travel plans public, tell your boss about it, so that he learns it from YOU, not somebody else.