Monday 8 March 2010

Last birthday before the big trip, what better than too.....

...make a wish list completely based on stuff I will need for traveling :) So no fancy pancy clothes and shoes, but rather practical ‘boring’ stuff, but stuff that I will be very happy to have during my trip! The list was sent to my mum, brother, and boyfriend as they are the main suspects for planning to get me something...

In case you don't know (and most of you wouldn't), my birthday is soon to come up and I will hence soon become a perfect double 3 and in about 2x3 months, as you should know if you have been following this blog for a while, I am planning to hit the roads around the world (well not really around the world I guess, but with 4-5 continents included, it’s not that bad an attempt, and if you count in Europe since it is the departure continent, I arrive at 5-6 out of 7…. Wow, I guess I can actually start calling it a world trip after all).

Some of the gear needed/recommended for such a trip, I already possess (like a silk bag, fleece sweater, sunglasses, camera, ipod, gloves, sarong…), but much of it I still need. Hence what better opportunity than to ask for some of it for my b-day.

Ok, so here goes my wish list:
- A camera case to protect my already all scratched up camera against even more scratches, banging, humidity;
- An extra camera memory card;
- A traveling pillow (although I still have to find one I actually can sleep on);
- A headlamp or perhaps rather a book lamp – I got a recommendation from A for one called ‘mighty bright’(that can be bought through Amazon).
- A medium size super light travel towel (N has the same, but perhaps another colour than his not to mix them up);
- A ‘money’ hiding ‘revolver’ case bag… meaning, instead of a money belt or a bag that goes around the neck, this one goes over the under the arm…;
- A backpack… now this is a difficult one. We looked at a few this weekend but didn’t find anything we want yet. Probably going for 60 litres though. Have been checking some websites but not yet sure what I want. So perhaps money for a backpack? And any ideas from backpacking friends or others are very welcome!!!!
- Hiking shoes. Not that easy either, but I think I found a very nice pair Saturday. More a kind of running trail than real hiking boots, as we will probably walk around more than hike. Asics something (N has more details). The size was 40 instead of my usual 39, but then my running shoes that are also Asics are 40.5 I think.
- ‘Hiking’ sandals. Hence not flip flops, but something that stays on the foot. I have been checking out this website and they have some nice ones. For example, the ‘Trailhead Venice’ in parsian blue. Or the ‘Trailhead Newport Canvas’ in amaranth/nile. The ‘Waterfront Balboa’ in dark citron, regal orchid or air blue is also very nice but more for beach than walking I think.
- A super light rain jacket.
- A rain protection cover to the backpack (but probably can’t get this until I have decided on the backpack, right?).
- Light travel pants. Possibly a pair that zips into shorts – although I find that very ugly. So perhaps not, and rather travel shorts and travel pants…
- A nice but light journal to put down my thoughts in during the trip, when we don’t have access to computers.
- A mini computer?????? Not sure yet if it is a good idea to bring one. It seems that people are divide on this. Some say that it is better to just use internet cafés etc, and it is an extra weight to carry around. But others think that it is worth the weight to not have to plug in your ipod, camera, usb-sticks etc and not use your credit cards etc on internet café computers due to the numerous viruses there and risk for people stealing ones secret passwords etc. Plus as A argued (they just bought a small computer after about 1 month of traveling), it doesn’t weigh mush more than a travel book and you can download travel books onto it instead of buying them. Any ideas on this?

Ok, that’s all folks. I think the list is long enough this time, overwhelmingly long in fact. Other stuff can of course also be added, either for the trip like other clothes (long sleeved thin cotton shirts, a thin and light summer dress that is very modest (sleeves to elbows, no real cleavage, at least to the knees), hiking socks etc), or stuff that you hear are very useful for such a trip, or of course, clothes or stuff that are fun for the next 6 months in Geneva :)

Any tips from anyone out there on things that I have missed? Or on the issue of bringing a small computer or not? Or even on the question to go for fashion or comfort when it comes to zipped short/pants thingies? :)

6 comments:

Miguel Anjo said...

My backpack list is at http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg2ztq36_129fgh759dr

PAndrade has the same backpack as me, if you want to check it out. I definitely recommend Deuter. In my opinion 32 liters is good size for easy travel, I'm completely happy with the choice.

For the computer, in Brazil there are not so many wifi places and no one carries a laptop as there is to big danger of being stolen. In Asia there is not so much danger, but in my opinion is always something that we will be thinking all the time. I would consider better some big screen mobile phone with wifi, where you can also read books (iphone or htc similar). Using public computers is less dangerous than using an ATM when accessing the back. You might loose the email or facebook password, but is a risk I prefer to take.

Of course if you take a 60liter backpack, then you should have space for the computer. Not in a 32liters one tough.

Hiking shoes or trekking shoes. Important is that they are waterproof (goretex) and is nice when you can cross a stream of water without getting your foot wet. E is very happy with her Reebok shoes. I'm not so happy with my Merrel ones.

SD cards sizes are important, when you think in case you loose your camera, how many pictures will you loose. This to say that sometimes 16GB cards are not the best option.

Reading light, I would go to a light head lamp, that you can use to go to the toilet at night in some countries. I don't know how practical are them for reading.

Well, this is in my way (and E) of traveling. I would be happy if I could put my backpack still lighter than it is now.

If you are in the D-6months time, you should go to the travel medicine consultation to start getting the boosts. Some take couple months.

Electrical adaptor, I consider that just a light europe-us one is enough, but this can also be bought in the first country you need, they cost 1dollar in those places. For India you need another one but you can buy there.

The jacket is for us the most difficult to know which is right. It is nice something waterproof, windproof, light, warm, discreet and following the shape of the body. But those cost a fortune.

la fée verte said...

Thank you both for all this good advice!!!

I will definitely read through them carefully and also check out your backpack list!! Although I think I will probably go over 32 liters.... But I'll have to try it out at home to see how much space all the stuff I want to bring, although I really do try to limit myself, will take.

The advice of getting in touch with the doc to start getting shots is really good as I have been thinking I still have loads of time. I will get to it immediately. Did you go to the doc at the HUG at their special ward for tropical diseases?

Hope you are enjoying your time in South America, being able to speak your language in Brazil must be nice :)

Take care, h.

Miguel Anjo said...

Yep, you just need to show up at the travel medicine ward in the hospital. Check out on the website. It takes a bit of time at least the first time, too many people. I do not remember if you can make appointments.

la fée verte said...

Another question. I saw on your list that you have brought a swiss army knife - is it accepted on-board flights?

I've been thinking about bringing on, but in case I would by some miracle manage to put all my stuff in a 32l backpack, the idea would be to bring it onto flights and not have to check-in. But what does one do with swiss army knifes, or nail scissors...?

Miguel Anjo said...

The first flight we took was after 6months of travelling and so we checked in our backpack. And because of the swiss-knife we've been checking on the two other flights we took.

A 32liter backpack is already on the very upper limit of on-board luggage. Couple years ago we went to Bulgaria with hand luggage only and finally we bought a knife there, but it is not easy to find cheap ones (to throw away before the next flight).

But a 32l backpack is also a nice weight/size to lift the bag above you and store in the head compartments of any train. Check deuter web-site. They also have some of 40liters and 40+10...

eva said...

Very essential also: a universal sink plug (sinks in most parts of the world do not have a plug...).

You should always keep in mind that clothes get worn very fast, being used and washed all the time. Don't take anything you wouldn't want to throw away! But this will allow you to buy new stuff during the trip :-)

Concerning clothes for certain countries (long skirt, long sleeves) I was quite glad to arrive in Southeast Asia, look at how the local women dress and then buy a couple of things at the market (long skirt and blouse). That way you have a souvenir to take home :-)

Concerning Ipod: I gave mine to a friend we met in Beijing because I wasn't using it. Buses and trains are making too much noise in most of the world to listen to music comfortably, and I also felt I was shutting myself off from everything that was happening there. Now I just have a good book. Also in some places it will out you as "rich tourist" and might make you more of a target... (I would feel that way here in Brazil). Maybe go for one of those small more simple MP3-players? Or just put some music on your mobile phone?
Keep in mind that your bag might possibly be stolen, and think about what you're ready to loose or not.

Backpack: definitely look at the ones which keep your back cool (for ex Deuter). It does make a difference.
About the weight, we read something interesting in a travel book once: you must be able to lift your backpack over your head, if not, it's too heavy.
I guess mine is now approaching the 40 liters but I find it already heavy, especially now that we're in a hot country and carrying most of the clothes (and shoes).

My shoes are Salomon trekking shoes and they are the best I ever had. They will definitely last for some more months.

Something else that was very useful: two small spoons.

Zip-off pants are not so horrible as long as they fit well and are combined with a nice T-Shirt. Buy some good ones because they're difficult to find elsewhere.

For vaccinations, you'll need to go to HUG as your personal doc cannot do yellow fever.

Have fun!
Eva