Monday 11 January 2010

Weekend of snowfilled activities

Yesterday was my first skiing day of the season - and what a lovely day it was. We went to Les Getz in France, in the Porte de Soleil system and had a great day with friends, mostly good snow and even quite a lot of sunshine :D

Les Getz was a new experience for me (or perhaps I have just forgotten skiing there before) and perhaps not one I will try again anytime soon as although we had a real good day, the station itself was not top. Or rather, after all the fresh snow that had fallen on Geneva (and it hardly ever snows in Geneva, and even less often does this snow stay - yesterday we woke up to 20 centimetres of fresh powder snow in the city!!) we were expecting a day full of loads and loads of powder. But the 20 centimetres that came down just during the night in Geneva, had only come down as 10 centimetres for the full 24h in Les Getz. For once the mountains got less snow than the city. A pity. Next time we will bring some with us up ;)

But it was sooooo great to ski again. I was feeling a bit reluctant the night before - the early rise, the time spent to find all skiing gears... Crazy green fairy! I just LOVE to ski! And once we were on the slopes and I made my first turns, my face was split in a huge tremendous smile :D

How incredible that the body remembers the movements from one year to another. Has been about 8 months since I last went down a slope, and after just a few turns I was directly ready to hit the 'off' pist deeper snow which was already full of traces, making it more difficult to glide down. The body remembers the moves indeed. But the muscles don't really have the strength left, so yes, a few more stops than usual to allow my poor legs some rest and then I was off again.

A lovely lovely day made possible by the close situation of Geneva to some great skiing resorts!

Ahh and the other winter activity of the day was the new sport of carrying car tyres back and from the car. About 1km with one tyre after another in my arms. Beat that! And all this while my boyfriend was doing the more precise but less muscular job of changing the tyres on the car. My arms are feeling quite sore indeed today... But.... Winter tyres on the car allowed for the skiing experience yesterday, so it was all quite worth it!

No comments: