Wednesday 20 January 2010

Promotion finally, but....

Finally got promoted after more than a year of discussions with my boss about it and half-promises that were never fulfilled. Until today that is!

So great news that makes me feel good as it is (or should be) a sign of my work being appreciated! And it will look good on my CV to actually have the title of the work I have been performing for the last year. This will if nothing else make it easier when searching for another job after my travels as telling someone about what role you had and how well you worked does not weigh as high as actually being able to put the title in your CV and show that you were promoted twice (or kind of three times) in 5 years.

The bad news? Well, the promotion was not really followed by any salary increase. As they have just made up some guidelines for the salary brackets and criteria for each position, and with this lowered the salary brackets for several positions (including my new one), my raise was only a mere 1%, landing me on the minimum salary for my position. If I had been promoted a year ago, my raise would most probably have been 7% and this is what I had been expected as it would have brought me up to the same salary as the others who were promoted into this position in 2009. Hence one can say that with the delays of my promotion for a year I have been doubly penalized - first, as I have had to wait for a year and stress about it, pushing my boss with questions every 6 months or so, not getting the title beforehand etc. Second, as I got a 6% smaller raise than I would have gotten a year ago!

Oh well, luckily that I am planning to leave this ship in about 7 months. But of course, a raise would also have meant more money to put aside for my RTW ;)

So, happy but with a pinch of salty irritation. It feels like they did not really make any effort in my regards, as this promotion cost them the price of 1-2 regional flight tickets. Is this all that I am worth?

No comments: